The scientist will primarily work on the RO knowledge conversion from low-level GNSS observations to high-level profiles (e.g., bending angle) as a NOAA/NESDIS/STAR RO staff member.
Nov. 16, 2022 4:30 pm
Jan. 15, 2023 5:00 pm
ESSIC/CISESS on the College of Maryland
ESSIC and the Cooperative Institute for Satellite tv for pc Earth System Research (CISESS) of the College of Maryland, Faculty Park, are in search of a scientist for the International Navigation Satellite tv for pc System (GNSS) Radio Occultation (RO) Calibration/Validation work.
The scientist will primarily work on the RO knowledge conversion from low-level GNSS observations to high-level profiles (e.g., bending angle) as a NOAA/NESDIS/STAR RO staff member. GNSS RO is an lively distant sensing approach that gives priceless data on the vertical variations of electron density within the ionosphere and temperature, stress, and water vapor within the stratosphere and troposphere. The bending angle profiles derived from RO indicators have been utilized in operational numerical climate prediction (NWP) methods by means of knowledge assimilation to right temperature bias within the forecasts. The CISESS RO staff helps NOAA’s RO satellite tv for pc processing and science purposes for the NOAA spine mission (i.e., COSMIC-2), the business RO missions, and NOAA companions’ missions.
The candidate will work with the staff lead on evaluating/validating Exact Orbit Dedication (POD) outcomes for GNSS satellites and LEO (low Earth orbit) satellites, coding and upgrading scripts to automate the processing procedures from uncooked GNSS observations to high-level bending angle profiles. The candidate will carry out inter-satellite co-location RO profile comparisons and prediction of the placement of the RO profiles and anticipate occasional internet interface design for displaying outcomes.
The candidate is predicted to contribute to the next:
- Design LEO or Small satellite tv for pc Exact Orbit Dedication (POD) algorithm with Bernese or different POD software program
- Routinely working POD software program and different positioning software program to provide and evaluate/validate the satellite tv for pc orbital ephemeris and clock bias outcomes from different RO facilities.
- Coding scripts and automation for low-level to high-level RO knowledge conversion.
- Supporting inter-LEO extra part/bending angle comparisons from completely different processing procedures/facilities.
- Algorithm implementation for RO processing on completely different ranges.
- Assist with easy web-contents design for displaying RO outcomes on completely different ranges.
- Publish analysis ends in peer-reviewed journals and take part in conferences.
Information, Abilities, and Talents:
- Robust Expertise with code improvement in FORTRAN/C/Python, script language (bash, Perl, and many others.) in Linux/Unix environments, and visualization coding in IDL and/or Matlab.
- Expertise processing massive quantities of the observational dataset utilizing a number of threads/clusters.
- Expertise with customary knowledge format, e.g., netCDF-4, BUFR, GRIB, and many others.
- Conversant in GNSS positioning concept and not less than one GNSS/LEO satellite tv for pc POD software program.
- Understanding GNSS positioning concept and geodetic datum
- Understanding LEO satellite tv for pc Radio Occultation concept.
- Confirmed capacity to work effectively in a staff surroundings
- Related peer-reviewed publications
- Good writing and oral communication expertise
For extra particulars